A website homepage is often the first point of contact that a customer has with a brand, so it’s important to make a good impression. It is also important to get out fo your visitors way and let them buy. See…we believe that most eCommerce websites are transactional, not experiential. If someone is coming to your site to just surf or play around, they are probably not going to buy.
We believe that your ads and social media presence should help you seal the deal so that bu the time your customers make it to your website’s homepage, they are ready to buy!
According to research from the Baymard Institute, there are several elements that every eCommerce brand should include on its homepage. We use the Baymard Institute for our facts due to their proven track record and thousands of hours of research on eCommerce websites. Here are a few very important elements for your eCommerce brand’s homepage:
- A clear value proposition: The homepage should clearly communicate the brand’s value proposition, outlining what the company does and what benefits it offers to customers. It is vital to get this above the fold (before the user has to scroll) on your brand’s desktop and mobile website. This helps to establish the brand’s unique selling points and sets the stage for the rest of the customer’s journey.
- Product categories: Customers should be able to easily find and browse the brand’s product categories from the homepage. The shorter the name, the better. For instance, instead of “healthy cereal,” just consider using “cereal.” Remember…by the time the customer hits your site, get out of their way and let them buy. Clear and concise navigation, is always best as well as visually appealing product category banners or links.
- Product images and descriptions: High-quality product images and descriptions are essential for helping customers make informed purchase decisions. This does not mean high-end graphic design. Instead, look to shoot bespoke imagery that you shoot yourself or with a professional photographer that can shoot your product in various real-life settings. The homepage should feature a selection of the brand’s best-selling or most popular products, along with clear and concise descriptions.
- Customer reviews: Customer reviews can help to build trust and credibility, so it’s important to feature them prominently on the homepage. This can be done through the use of customer ratings and reviews, as well as social media testimonials. There are lots of review apps out there and depending on if you are on WordPress or Shopify, you can only use certain ones. Look carefully. At a minimum, have a few customer reviews on your site’s home page. Extra brownie points for having actual photos of customers that they submitted themselves!
- A search function: A search function is essential for helping customers find specific products quickly and easily. The search bar should be prominently displayed on the homepage and should be easy to use.
- A clear call to action: The homepage should include a clear and prominent call to action, such as “Shop now” or “Browse our selection.” This helps to guide customers toward the next step in the purchasing process.
By including these elements on the homepage, eCommerce brands can create a user-friendly and effective online shopping experience for their customers.